Back to School with a Healthy Lunch
Columbia is bustling with back to school fever. The binders are flying off the shelves and the kids are lining up for the bus. Sending kids back to school doesn’t have to mean sending them back to pizza, french fries and tacos every day. Consider packing your child a nutritious lunch. That way, you’ll be able to monitor what they eat and the sugars they consume.
It’s understandable if you can’t put a lunch together every morning, but take small steps. Set a lunch packing schedule for certain mornings, or pack lunch the night before. Small efforts go a long way to ensure your child isn’t running on empty.
Have a little fun with the menu by putting a new spin on some old favorites!
Make a sandwich on a stick:
- Cut up cubes of bread, cheese and lunch meat.
- Slide the cubes onto a skewer with other foods your child likes, such as a grape tomato, a piece of lettuce, a pickle or an olive.
- Set out a side of mayo or mustard for dipping.
Or try a banana dog:
- Spread a whole-grain hot dog bun with peanut butter
- Sprinkle with wheat germ or sunflower seeds
- Top with a whole, peeled banana and a squiggle of jam.
Add a side of milk to round out the meal. Variation: For a Banana Burrito, substitute a tortilla for the bun.
Check out Family Fun at http://familyfun.go.com/back-to-school/back-to-school-lunches-snacks/ for more recipes!