Summer Fruits and Vegetables
Because fresh produce is so readily available during the summer, it is the perfect time to start eating more fruits and vegetables.
For a tasty, seasonal meal, try grilling fresh sweet onions, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and other summery vegetables. In place of your regular dessert, try substituting fresh fruit like melons, strawberries, blueberries and cherries.
Fruits and vegetables are good for your health because they provide essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutrients. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests eating generous amounts of fruits and vegetables has been shown to reduce the risk of chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease and high blood pressure. If you are trying to reduce your daily calorie intake, fruits and vegetables are a great choice because they are naturally low in fat and calories.
A great way to get your summer produce is to buy locally. Here in Columbia, there are two farmer’s markets available for you to shop:
- Boone County Farmer’s Market
- Location and Hours: 1005 W. Worley Street (located at the corner of Worley and West Blvd.) on Saturdays from 8a.m. to 12p.m.
- Columbia Farmer’s Market
- Main Location and Hours: 1701 W. Ash Street on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-6PM and Saturdays from 8a.m.-12p.m.
- South Location and Hours: 3900 Forum Blvd on Thursdays from 4-6p.m.
For more information about each of these farmer’s markets, please visit their websites at: Boone County Farmers and Columbia Farmers Market
- Insect Repellents DEET/Picaridin
- Tips for Reducing Sodium Intake
- Healthy Summer Snacks